Do you like to eat a lot of spinach, kale, chard, and cabbage?
These are all veggies from the Brassicaceae vegetable family.
This group of veggies is packed full of beautiful nutrients and are a great thing to including your diet BUT, consuming them raw can limit your access to these great nutrients.
The Brassicaceae a vegetable family have a lot of constituents that bind your nutrients so that you don’t have access to absorbing them fully. The Brassicaceae family also have a lot of goitrogens that when is not properly deactivated can create a lot of stress on your thyroid and ends up stealing nutrients from you. This means most of those great nutrients just pass right through you and nobody wants that!
If you have ANY thyroid issue, this shift is very important for you!
The good news is you can deactivate a lot of the negative effects of these constituents by preparing your spinach, kale, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and bok choy properly.
This preparation is super simple–all you need to do is steam, blanch, sauté, roast, or ferment these veggies.
If you’re including these raw greens in your smoothies on a regular basis, here is how to make this super easy to apply.
- Purchase a large amount of spinach or kale at one time
- Wash and clean the leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Drop your leafy greens in the water and cover
- Let your greens blanched in the water for just a couple minutes
- Into a strainer, pour out all the water and greens
- Let your greens cool
- Gently roll the greens into little ice cubes sized portions
- Press these balls into an ice cube tray and freeze
- Pop them out and store them in your freezer
- Now you have blanched and ready to absorb greens that can easily be blended into your smoothie as needed!
Don’t worry if you forget to prep your greens in advance. Simply pack a 16-ounce mug with the greens of your choice and pour over boiling water to fill the mug. Let the greens sit for 1-2 minutes and then pour off the water.
Blanched greens ready to throw in your smoothie. 😀