Cashew Cream Cheese ~ Dairy-free
When I removed dairy from my diet, cheese was the hardest for me and what I missed most. Cheese can be a frustrating food to avoid for many people. I fully admit the cravings can be strong! For those of us with dairy sensitivities or an intolerance, finding tasty non-dairy options is important.
When I made this cheese, I was happy to find it fills the gap by providing a creamy non-dairy whole food option. This recipe is for all those dairy-free lovers of creamy deliciousness. It can be added to sauces, baked goods, or spread on pretty much anything for a tasty creamy topping.
Cashew Cream Cheese
Cashews, raw (whole or pieces)
Unrefined sea salt
1. Soak cashews overnight in a glass jar filled with salt water. Make the water taste salty like the sea.
2. Drain off the extra water and place cashews into a blender or food processor.
3. Add just enough fresh water to get it to blend smooth. You want to use as little water as possible.
4. Pour mixture into a glass jar, cover and let set on the counter for 4 hours. Then move to the fridge.
1. Experiment with nutritional yeast for a cheesy cheddar flavor.
2. Add fresh herbs like thyme and basil.
3. Wrap the cheese in cheesecloth or muslin and squeeze out all possible liquid. This makes a slightly sliceable soft cheese option.
4. Use diluted with water or broth in curries and pastas for a sauce creamy base.
Can you think of other variations?
Leave a comment below and let me know!
Thank you for reading and sharing this post with anyone who can benefit, please pass this information along.
Sign up and stay updated about more delicious recipes!