Halloween begins the candy parade that seems to continue through out the holiday season. Many of us get a little carried away with our candy intake, which can lead to intense sugar craving cycles. The more we eat, the more we want, which makes it harder to make good food choices.
Complete abstinence can be difficult for many and is not always necessary. I am a fan of the 80/20 rule. Do your best with 80% of the food you eat and the other 20% allows a little more flexibility at social events. It’s always important to know where to draw the line and avoid food intolerances and allergies.
Remember, just because it’s there does not mean you need to eat it…. novel, I know. There are more options than just letting the candy stare at you. I recommend doing these as soon after Halloween as possible to decrease the temptations quickly. Here is what you can do without eating it all!
1. Take part in a candy buy-off exchange. Many dentists and orthodontists participate in buying back Halloween candy and some give up to $1/pound.
2. Donate the candy to our troops. Care packages sent overseas are a great way to show our troops gratitude for the sacrifices and care they show us all. Here are two groups to help you get started:
3. Practice your building skills. Use your imagination, glue, and toothpicks to build a house, homestead, town, or city. This can be fun for kids of all ages! Candy Sims, anyone?
4. Science experiments! You can learn a lot about science by playing with candy. Here are some great ideas to try: